Sunday, July 26, 2009

Duke of Shadows

- Meredith Duran -

Recommended by various reviewers and a very absorbing read - I loved the setting as the tensions between English colonialism, and the realities of taking over a country against its inhabitants will played out through Emma's experiences and Julian's sense of being torn between two worlds.

I did feel the shift between their experiences in India and London four years later was a bit abrupt. More than that, I guess I didn't really understand why Emma had not contacted Julian herself. Surely it must have occurred to her that in all the chaos, he may have believed her to have been dead? I think what it came down to was that she was so scarred by her experiences and what she saw in India, that she was almost afraid to contact him. I also wished she had stood up to Marcus a little more in the second half of the book - since she professes not to care for society and believes herself to have already been through the worst the world can offer, I did not 100% believe her being intimidated by her blackmailing.

Overall though, an incredibly absorbing and emotional story and I can't wait to read the author's other two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment