Monday, January 12, 2009

Marley & Me

- John Grogan -

Finally caved and bought this one after adoring the movie - yes, I am a sucker for cheese. And proud of it.

Probably not surprising, given I'd assume it's a prerequisite for newspaper columnists to be able to connect with their readers, but John Grogan has an amazing ability to write about simple yet universally recognizable events with such clarity and charm.

No doubt being a huge animal lover helps, cause I have friends who just don't get the dog thing at all and where mystified by my enjoyment of the movie, but I related to so many of these stories, despite not being in the same place in my life as Grogan was when he wrote. I may not be a newlywed/new parent etc, but I sure as hell can relate to the coming home and bracing yourself before opening the door to see what the dog has destroyed now (thanks, Molly dog!) and being completely unable to stay mad cause the destructor in question is just so damn happy to see you.

All in all, super enjoyable read and lovely tribute to the wonderful place a good bad dog has in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment