Sunday, March 15, 2009

Flat-Out Sexy

- Erin McCarthy -

Set in the world of stock car racing which I know (and care) very little about, but decided to give it a go based on great reviews from Smart Bitches and the fact that I pretty much always enjoy this author.

Totally glad that I did! The actual racing aspect is pretty much secondary to the community and lifestyle that springs up around the sport, and I really enjoyed that aspect. The friendships between the drivers and their families felt very natural and I enjoyed the comradery.

Tamara and Elec (stupid name - pronounced a-leck, I assume?) made a nice couple - I generally don't enjoy stories where the guy is this young (25) because it rarely feels believable to me, especially when there are kids involved, but in this case the overall sense of family and community surrounding the sport, and the natural care that people seemed to take of one another, made his instant rapport with Tamara's kids feel more believable.

I also enjoyed the fact that, for the most part, both Tamara and Elec were willing to take chances with each other, open up emotionally, and that the hiccups in their relationship seemed a natural part of the development of them as a couple as opposed to unnecessary obstacles.

I also really enjoyed the secondary characters - am already looking forward to Suzanne & Ryder getting a book of their own (am assuming this will happen!).

No comments:

Post a Comment