Sunday, November 15, 2009

Captive of Sin

- Anna Campbell-

Based on this and the other book of hers I have read (Untouched), Anna Campbell seems to specialize in tortured, psychologically decimated heroes. It is a trope I love, even if I do question, particularly in this case, whether the whole "magic of love" thing is really enough to overcome the unbearable trauma the hero lives with.

Overall, I enjoyed the book - I love the idea of Charis and Gideon both being damaged and afraid and finding peace in each other, but I really did want to see more exploration of the post traumatic stress disorder that Gideon was suffering from and a more nuanced path to some sort of healing, rather than the he's so horny he gets over it style fix that was presented her.

While I love the idea of his passion for Charis ultimately being what helps him overcome his demons, it seemed like it happened too quickly. I would have liked to see a more gradual build up, both if his desire for her, and her acclimating him to her touch and turning it into a source of comfort rather than pain.

An enjoyable read, but I felt it could have had so much more emotional weight and impact if Gideon's justifiable issues had been explored more.

No comments:

Post a Comment