Saturday, May 2, 2009

Assassination Vacation

- Sarah Vowell -


Both hilarious and fascinating, this book details the author's travels to famous sites and to view artifacts, however arbitrary, connected to the presidential assassinations of Presidents Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley.

As someone with a fairly vague knowledge of American history, and absolutely zero awareness of the fact that two out of three of these presidents were even assassinated (that's how Teddy Roosevelt became president initially - by being McKinley's vice-president. Who knew?), I found the historical aspects of the book fascinating, and would even read more on the subject if I thought I could find history books that deal with these events with as much affection, exasperation and even humour as Sarah Vowell's writing does.

Her style reminds me a lot of Bill Bryson, in that it is very personal, describing her unique experience and yet as a reader I felt like I learned and experienced right along with the writer.

Will definitely be looking for more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment