Saturday, April 11, 2009

Every Night I'm Yours

- Christie Kelley -

Meh. I really liked the concept for this one (spinster writer seeks lover to teach her how to write love scenes through experience), but the execution was mostly pretty boring.

The characters all felt fairly cardboard cutout and flat, with a few undeveloped complications thrown in here and there for good measure.

One thing I am definitely finding as I read more historicals is that I really strongly prefer stories where the man and woman are on more equal footing. Not in terms of social standing - that can work well for me in any combination - but in terms of experiences and confidence. I really do not enjoy the innocent virgin being seduced and/or tranforming the worldly man tropes. It just comes off as too unbalanced for me (even if this is probably fairly representative of the dynamics of many relationships of the time), I must prefer it when the heroine is more unconventional or scandalous and experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment